Wednesday, 31 August 2016

Dora and the sea


Although I’m currently sitting on my terrace, looking at the sea and waiting for the sun to stop burning my skin so I can go to the beach and swim a little bit, and even though I am exactly three months late with my blog, I cannot leave this short adventure out of my records simply because it radiates with such different energy that it would have been a shame not to share it.

And so my quick trip to the seaside with my family began on a rusty, cold morning in the end of April. I got even the honour to drive the car a couple of hours while listening to my mother quietly crying in the backseat and my brother praying to the unknown not to get us killed. It looked as if only my dad and I enjoyed the ride.



In the end we arrived safe and sound to Sutomore, Montenegro, where our grandparents have already been waiting for us with a huge dinner.
Despite coming to the seaside in the spring for a couple of years now, it seems that I am hardly getting used to the mixture of waking up under a bunch of blankets, looking out the window and seeing the sea. The two just doesn’t fit.

Nevertheless, I decided to sunbath a little on our only sunny day during our visit and I can now officially confirm that the sun does burn even in the spring.

The afternoon was reserved for a lovely walk in Bar, the biggest city in the municipality. The more I visit this town, the more I love it. Not only that it has wide boulevards stuffed with palms but it has the greatest marine in Montenegro. I am personally not a fan of ships and yachts, but this place reminds me of my childhood when my grandfather always took my brother and me to see the marine.

On this afternoon we walked past the magnificent castle of the ruler of Montenegro, king Nikola, while we were on the quay and I was so delighted with its decoration that I promised myself that I would come back next year to see it from the inside.



The following days were supposed to be rainy, so we decided to stay home and study for our tests (my brother and I) or just simply chill and read a book (our parents). And it miraculously worked for the first 24 hours. But as long as I know my father that period of silence could have not lasted much longer. 

The next day we decided to go on a trip around the surrounding beaches despite the rain and the cloudy weather. We visited Petrovac, a lovely little town with a small fortress and Sv. Stefan a magnificent peninsula which is at the same time the most luxurious place in Montenegro.

 Although I have seen these places many times during summer, it was a real surprise to see them in the spring too. The water may not had been so blue, and the sand may not had been shining like gold, but this mixture of greyish blue water with the red sand gave me a sense of freedom. I was extremely grateful for that moment because I know that only a handful of people have the opportunity to see the calm, tourist-free side of the sea, and appreciate its power.



As the biggest fan of the Mediterranean, I can only recommend spending there as much time as possible.  Even when it’s cold outside, the sea will find its way to warm up your heart. And that is the only magic the sea does and the only thing it should be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment